2021 - NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS
JOIN THE THINKERS
Think Outside the Box & OUTSOURCE
2021 - NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS
Well, we are already in the New Year and many Resolutions already falling by the wayside or postponed until tomorrow!
- Drink more water
- Clear the Credit Card
- Start a Diary/Journal
- Eat Healthy
- New Hobby
We can ADDMORE to this list, but I think most of us have some if not all of these on our lists
Personally, I intend to Focus better and work smarter not harder embracing all the technology available today.
In terms of our businesses, we need to be S.M.A.R.T
- Specific – Set Objectives
- Measurable – Set Standards to reach the objectives by using numbers to denote goals
i.e., increase sales by 15%
- Achievable -Set objectives that are possible for your business
- Realistic -Remain within the realms of reality when you set the objectives
- Time Specific – Set deadlines for reaching your objectives
We need to set out clear company resolutions and the application of Lean Construction Principles should be at the top or near the top of the list
For those with Manufacturing facilities and warehouses it is much easier to apply Lean Construction principles as per the success in the 1950’s of TOYOTA Production System (TPS)
However, for our Jobsites we can with some effort achieve big improvements on the same principles:
- focus on eliminating waste and maximizing Value
- Identify the waste and use automation wherever possible such as utilizing the latest technology software for Labor timekeeping, job costing, RFI’s. Safety, Punch Lists and Project Controls
- Utilize Cloud based software for better communication within your team and with your team partners
- Review all workflows, modify, correct, and replace as required and communicate in a visual and easy to follow communication for the team
- Continuing improvement is vital and the proper recording of data
- Historic data is so valuable but often not used properly due to incomplete records or lack of focus on this pool of inhouse knowledge which must not be forgotten is gained from your direct experience
We should also add “Listening Skills” to our resolutions this will motivate your team if you demonstrate that open door policy is a real deal and can lead to changes if required based on the feedback from the staff.
An online review comments section for the customers can also produce valuable data for reviewing and evaluating your performance.
Empower your team and delegate tasks these are not easy resolutions to uphold for every manager but should be high on our priorities to enable growth of the company.
Make Changes when required – Einstein defined insanity “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”
Let us all try to keep our resolutions this year as our number one resolution
Finally Mentoring and Continuing Professional development are investments that will repay you twice fold and are always on my company resolutions list
The information provided above is general in nature, has been prepared for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. All parties need to evaluate their specific project conditions, contract, local codes and ordinances and contact their attorney or consultant to understand and apply these and other general principles for their project. The information is intended but not guaranteed to be correct, complete, and up-to-date. No representations or warranties are made, express or implied, that this information is correct, complete, or up-to-date.
COLIN ANTHONY ADDLEY MCIOB, MAIB, MSAIB
Colin is a highly experienced Professional Quantity Surveyor and Project Manager with over three decades in the International construction and Marine Industry.
He is a specialist in the fit out sector having executed many prestigious, Luxury high quality and Technically Complex Projects.
He is also a creative writer having penned many industry related articles.